Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 women, children trampled to death in struggle for free flour
09-15-2009, 07:15 AM
20 women, children trampled to death in struggle for free flour
KARACHI (September 15 2009): A stampede killed up to 20 impoverished women and children, crushed in a stairwell and alley, when charity workers handed out free flour Monday, officials said. Dozens of women and girls from poor families converged on the first-floor office of a small charity in the crowded neighbourhood of Khori Garden in the hot afternoon of Ramazan.

"We have so far received 20 bodies of women and girls while the injured are more than 30," Amin Khan, an official at Civil Hospital Karachi, told AFP. City police chief Wasim Ahmed said at least 18 women and children died in the stampede with dozens of others injured.

"The deaths were caused by suffocation and the stampede in one of the most congested localities of Khori Garden, where a charity was distributing free flour among hundreds of women and children during Ramazan," he added. Women clad in black burkas sobbed and wailed as ambulances screeched through the streets, ferrying the bodies and injured to hospital, where panicked relatives searched for their loved ones and dead bodies lay covered in sheets.

"I have lost my little daughter," cried Karima in hospital. "I wanted a bag of flour for my family and my greed punished me so gravely," she sobbed. A private security guard responsible for making sure the women formed an orderly queue baton charged the women when they became impatient with the long wait, said police and witnesses.

"The women got scared and tried to save themselves... which caused the stampede," said local police official Hashmat Ali. Injured Salma Qadir, 40, said the women wanted to get their rations quickly but were beaten by a guard. "The women scared and tried to turn back, which scared others and resulted in a stampede," she told AFP.

Several dozen women's shoes, sandals and slippers were left lying on the road outside the distribution place in Khori Garden, a warren of narrow lanes and side streets ill equipped for large crowds, an AFP reporter said. "Fortunately, my mother and sister have survived and I am searching for their shoes and scarves here," said teenager Mohammad Kashif.

Shops in the area closed as a sign of mourning after the tragedy as women and children wailed outside the crowded emergency ward of the Civil Hospital Karachi where bodies and the injured were transported. Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani ordered an immediate investigation into the incident and medical treatment for the injured in Karachi.

Our staff reporter Aamir Majid adds: Talking to Business Recorder, one of the several injured, Amna Bibi said the incident had taken place due to mismanagement during the distribution of free Zakat ration. The resident of Lyari said she was looking after three children of his son, who was killed in a gang war in the town, and that she reached the spot for free ration for a month after performing the duty of a maid at a bungalow.

Another victim, Kalsoom, said: "I am the resident of Machar Colony. All of a sudden, a stampede broke out when a large number of women, suddenly changed their route for ration."

According to the CMO CHK, the dead included, Amina, Tasleema, Roshna, Zahore Bibi, Samina, Shahida, Nousheen, Nargis, Robina, Shahnaz, Shabana, Noreen, Munawara Begum while the bodies of three other women could not be identified and sent to Edhi Morgue for want of identification. Moreover, the families of two women had removed their bodies from the spot without legal proceedings, he added. He said the injured included Robina, Kulsoom, Mehnaz, Maryam, Nargis, Purkhat. The names of six other could not be ascertained, he added. Sources at Kharadar police station said no FIR had been lodged against the chief of the charity till late night.

Faheem Ahmed Siddiqui, District and Sessions Judge, South, Karachi has been appointed as Enquiry Officer to conduct the inquiry into the tragic incident. He has been asked to submit a report to the government within 7 days. Meanwhile, Sindh government has announced compensation of Rs 1,00,000 to legal heirs of each deceased. Chief Minister Sindh Syed Qaim Ali Shah, Sindh Minister for Home Dr Zulfiqar Mirza, Health Minister Sindh Dr Saghir Ahmed and other provincial ministers and advisors has condemned the incident.

http://www.brecorder.com/index.php?id=961216
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Supreme Court: Depriving Women of Inheritance is a Despicable Act LRE-Azan 0 1,256 11-22-2021 08:06 PM
Last Post: LRE-Azan
  Cantonment areas to have signal-free roads Salman 0 5,651 12-21-2013 12:34 PM
Last Post: Salman
  CDA to ensure hassle-free process for auction of plots Salman 0 6,254 11-18-2013 12:22 PM
  4 flyovers to make traffic signal-free Salman 0 4,748 11-27-2012 03:15 PM
  Efforts urged to maintain Islamabad polio free Salman 0 3,699 10-06-2012 11:16 PM
  204 applicants to get free 5-marla plots Salman 0 6,565 05-04-2012 12:51 PM
  Jinnah Avenue to be made signal free Salman 0 5,415 05-01-2012 01:48 PM
  City to be made dirt, polluted free Salman 0 4,507 04-27-2012 12:56 PM
  Gwadar: Mekraan Declared "Loadshedding Free" LRE 1 5,561 03-07-2012 11:56 PM
Last Post: LRE
  CM gives 30 days for a plan to make 20 main roads jam-free Lahore_Real_Estate 0 4,534 12-17-2011 12:37 PM
Last Post: Lahore_Real_Estate
  Rs 1.5b to be spent on four new women varsities: Anwar Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,396 09-12-2011 12:38 PM
  Punjab govt to provide free education to labourers’ children: Qureshi Lahore_Real_Estate 0 4,394 08-17-2011 01:15 PM
  CM seeks plan for more signal-free corridors Lahore_Real_Estate 0 2,982 06-06-2011 02:26 PM
  Tax free drive costs city heavy Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,550 05-20-2011 12:00 PM
  Film festival held to raise awareness about violence against women Lahore_Real_Estate 0 4,125 03-04-2011 05:12 PM
  Shadowy death Lahore_Real_Estate 0 2,904 01-25-2011 12:22 PM
  Sunday Bazar & Women Vendors LRE 0 3,300 01-23-2011 12:00 PM
  2010 remains a year of sufferings and struggle for Pakistan Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,380 01-01-2011 11:40 AM
  Pakistan will struggle without experienced players Lahore_Real_Estate 0 2,675 01-01-2011 11:29 AM
  Life & Death (Atta Ul Haq Qasmi) LRE 0 3,855 12-23-2010 11:11 AM