Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodbye to Pakistan after two decades of working in different organisations: Dr Karl
05-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Goodbye to Pakistan after two decades of working in different organisations: Dr Karl
Friday, May 22, 2009
Ishrat Hyatt

Islamabad

Saying goodbye to Pakistan after two decades of working in different organisations, Dr Karl Fischer hosted a dinner at the Majlis Restaurant to which his close friends were invited — needless to say the conversation was mostly serious with a sprinkling of light-hearted anecdotes now and again!

Dr Fischer first came to Islamabad in 1988, as the last ambassador of the GDR to Pakistan and retained his standing with the new establishment after the unification of Germany in 1990, frequently visiting Islamabad, as a consultant to the Hanns Seidel Foundation, as their Regional Advisor for South Asia and Afghanistan, building on contacts developed in the earlier years, with a high-level of interaction with the local people made easy because of his good working knowledge of Urdu.

Thanking his guests for accepting his invitation, the host said that after more than 20 years association with Pakistan, he had decided to call it a day and return to Germany, the place of his permanent residence. “I cannot leave without thanking you for all the support and encouragement I received from you on so many occasions during this time” he said. “When I first came here I was interviewed at a party and through this column was introduced to an enlightened readership in the twin cities. (by yours truly!)”.

He then went on to list the various positions he held. In 2001 the United Nations employed him, as deputy head of the United Nations Special Mission to Afghanistan (UNSMA) with headquarters in Islamabad. He then moved to Kabul in April 2002 as Chief of Staff of the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and as Senior Advisor on Donor Relations and Information Management. Since 2004 he has been shuttling between Islamabad, Kabul and Delhi on behalf of the Hanns Seidel Foundation on various assignments, mainly developing projects in the fields of management training, civic education, capacity building and cooperation with think tanks on topical issues of current international relations.

After speaking about his work Dr Fischer thanked his friends around the table. “In the course of these activities, my friends have been of great help to me and served, as role models,” he said. “You have advised me how to understand your country. I always benefited from the insight, experience and knowledge of Ross Massod and from the analytical work of Mushahid Hussain, as an editor and politician. Khan Ahmad Goraya represented the creed of efficient, competent and visionary bureaucrats, deeply dedicated to serving his country and people. Likewise, Alauddin Massod and Prof. Dushka Syed embody the emancipated intellectual of Pakistan, ready to fight and stand their place in a largely male dominated society. Nusrat never left out an opportunity to exchange views with me and I appreciate his skills and dedication, as an investigative journalist. Mark was my competent colleague at UNAMA and remains a good friend. Last not least Dr. Babak Khalatbari represents the young and competent generation of German Project Directors, with special interest in developing Pakistan-Afghanistan dialogue on various levels of political life.”

Dr Fischer went on to say that officially, he retired five years ago, but that does not mean he will remain idle. As a ‘friend of Pakistan’ he wants to write about the country’s problems; to talk to fellow citizens about the experience, he gathered in this country and his meetings with people from all walks of life, with a desire to convey his vision of future options for Pakistan and the whole region. “This endeavour will occasionally bring me back here. I know your country is passing through difficult times. Some of your joys, sorrows and fears have also affected my life, so I leave with one weeping eye and one laughing eye,” he concluded to a round of applause.

http://thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=178877
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  DHA Bahawalpur Seeks Proposals for Innovative IT Park, Co-Working Space, and Mixed-Us LRE-Azan 0 200 01-10-2024 06:05 PM
Last Post: LRE-Azan
  Punjab Development Working Party (PDWP) Approves Four Major Development Projects LRE-Azan 0 299 10-27-2023 02:14 PM
  Joint Working Group on CPEC’s security urged to meet regularly LRE-Azan 0 1,352 02-06-2022 02:28 PM
  Legal battles take heavy toll on CDA working Salman 0 5,432 12-17-2013 01:42 PM
Last Post: Salman
  CDA working on mega project to address water needs: chairman Salman 0 6,344 07-18-2013 10:59 AM
  City government working on a new master plan for Lahore Salman 0 11,832 08-01-2012 01:07 PM
  PML-N working on abolishing patwari culture Salman 0 3,719 06-18-2012 01:45 PM
  KDA yet to recover decades old dues Salman 0 3,239 04-06-2012 12:30 PM
  CCP working on telecom sector Salman 0 3,546 02-08-2012 12:33 PM
  CDA working a single-road into a 2-laner Salman 0 3,889 12-16-2011 03:31 PM
  Bahria Town, CDA officers working hand in glove, observes Bugti Lahore_Real_Estate 0 4,336 07-16-2011 12:10 PM
Last Post: Lahore_Real_Estate
  Goodbye, Kalma Chowk! Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,640 05-23-2011 11:12 AM
  Parliamentary committee to probe Punjab House working Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,502 01-12-2011 06:39 PM
  Junior clerk working as assistant director in LDA Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,823 11-25-2010 04:33 PM
  Saudi fatwa bars women from working as cashiers Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,724 11-02-2010 06:02 PM
  New Town Gwadar Working Without Director LRE 0 3,078 10-11-2010 09:41 AM
Last Post: LRE
  City govt working without audit officer for years Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,681 08-31-2010 12:37 PM
  Youth organisations commemorate International Youth Day Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,068 08-12-2010 12:03 PM
  indian lady foreign officer arrested in india, accused to working for Pakistan LRE 5 13,523 05-04-2010 06:41 PM
Last Post: LRE
  CM blacklists firms working on Kasur road Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,560 04-12-2010 01:10 PM