Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'My life cleaning Delhi's sewers'
02-09-2009, 06:17 AM
India may be spending billions on its high tech space programme but its spending on sewers is decidedly low tech and deadly, reports the BBC's Rupa Jha.

[Image: _45449137_rewaram282.jpg]
I live smelling death, but it is fine.
Rewa Ram, sewer worker

I will never forget the sight of that thin short man, wearing nothing but cotton underpants, strapped into a harness arrangement, disappearing down into a dark manhole beneath the streets of my home city.

The diameter of the hole was so small that he bruised himself while slipping down.

Inside was a dark well, full of sewage, with giant cockroaches sticking to the wall.

Before he climbed in I asked him his name. I was really surprised when he answered flamboyantly, "Rewa Ram - Son of Khanjan."

I thought: "He must be educated, seems to speak some English." But when I asked him, he said: "No. I'm a complete illiterate."

When I looked down that hole into the drains of Delhi, the smell was overwhelming. Down below, he was coughing, trying hard to keep breathing.

He was struggling to clear a blockage with his bare hands.

Dizzying smell

All of a sudden, a pipe protruding into the drain above his head started spewing out water and human faeces that poured over his body.

I began to feel dizzy just looking down into this mess.

My nostrils were filled with that obnoxious smell, a bit like of rotten eggs. I wanted to vomit. I felt weak and wanted to run away from the smell.

I was born and brought up in India and for the past 15 years I have lived in Delhi, the capital city of one of the world's most rapidly growing economies. I am a member of the growing, upwardly mobile middle class.

I suppose I represent the "roaring Tiger" India, but I am regularly shocked and surprised when I see the struggle for dignity that so many face here.

Literally beneath the glitter of the big city lies a vast network of these dark drains, where so many Rewa Rams are struggling with toxic gases and human waste. They suffer disease and discrimination in return for cleaning the city's sewage system.

Deadly job

Rewa Ram is just one of thousands of sanitation workers in India who work hard to keep the cities, towns and villages clean.

Most of them come from the community of lower caste Dalits as they are known, or untouchables.

Health experts working in the field told me most of these workers would die before their retirement because of the poor health and safety conditions they work in. Their life expectancy is thought to be around 10 years less than the national average.
Activists ask why India spends so much on space and so little on sewers

Dr Ashish Mittal, an occupational health consultant, did a survey of the working conditions of sewage workers.

He told me most of the workers suffer from chronic diseases, respiratory problems, skin disorders and allergies. He said they are constantly troubled by headaches and eye infections. I am not surprised.

Rewa Ram was pulled out when he started feeling dizzy from the toxic fumes in the manhole.

They were thick with a mixture of methane and hydrogen sulphide, both considered potentially fatal by the health experts.

He needed water to clean himself, just a splash on his face could have made him feel better.

His colleagues started banging on doors of the rich neighbourhood where he was working. Nobody opened their gate.

[Image: _45449385_space_ap.jpg]
Activists ask why India spends so much on space and so little on sewers

Ancient sewers

Human rights activists and trade unionists I have talked to ask a simple question. If the government of India can spend billions on its space programme, if Delhi can reach all its targets for the beautification of the city in time for the 2010 Commonwealth Games, including an underground train system, then why can't the sewage system be modernised?

Why does it still rely on sending practically naked men down below the streets to clear the drains with their bare hands, being exposed to noxious gases which could take them to a premature grave?

[Image: _45449295_sewerman.jpg]
India's economy is growing rapidly, but not all are feeling the benefits

I put these questions to the authorities.

The reply? "We are trying our best."

It did not really feel good enough after what I had seen.

The law courts have passed several orders banning human beings from going into the sewage system unless it is an emergency.

In Delhi it looks as if every day is an emergency in the sewers.

Smell of death

I asked Rewa Ram, still breathless and covered with the sewage from the drain: "How do you feel about having to do this work?"

With folded arms, he replied: "I am not educated, I come from a very poor family of untouchables. What else can I expect?

"At least I have a government job and I am able to feed my children. I get into this hell everyday but then this is my job.

"I live smelling death, but it is fine."

But is it fine? Why should he expect so little just because he comes from a lower caste and is not educated?

How can our so-called civil society be so indifferent to the millions like him? I, for one, am left feeling guilty.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/fr...872770.stm
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  CDGK introduces modern system for cleaning of roads Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,339 09-24-2011 01:14 PM
Last Post: Lahore_Real_Estate
  LDA brings back two housing schemes to life Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,974 05-21-2011 11:57 AM
  State Life secures Rs2.13bn during 1QFY11 Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,827 05-16-2011 11:32 AM
  Wife is Life? LRE 0 3,429 01-23-2011 11:53 AM
Last Post: LRE
  Sherry Rehman says she faces threat to life Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,978 01-05-2011 02:45 PM
  Life & Death (Atta Ul Haq Qasmi) LRE 0 3,821 12-23-2010 11:11 AM
  Aisam off to a winning start in Delhi Lahore_Real_Estate 0 2,950 10-05-2010 01:32 PM
  Commonwealth Games open in New Delhi Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,317 10-04-2010 02:30 PM
  Our Life Style & Teachings of Our Beloved Prophet LRE 0 3,515 04-13-2010 01:28 AM
  Under a bridge, life means compromise Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,381 04-12-2010 01:05 PM
  The blessings of simple life (by Qazi Hussain Ahmad) Naveed Yaseen 0 3,748 02-19-2010 11:56 AM
Last Post: Naveed Yaseen
  Life of a buffalo (by Yasir Pirzadah) Naveed Yaseen 0 3,208 02-02-2010 02:56 PM
  Mother’s milk lowers diabetes risk later in life Naveed Yaseen 0 3,706 11-22-2009 06:39 AM
  Following traffic rules in fog can save your life: Motorway police chief Naveed Yaseen 0 4,305 11-08-2009 08:05 AM
  Swine flu claims first life in Pakistan LahoreEstate 0 3,407 11-08-2009 05:46 AM
Last Post: LahoreEstate
  Poll finds over 50% tribesmen dissatisfied with life in FATA Naveed Yaseen 0 3,004 09-27-2009 05:44 AM
  King of Brunei Dar As-Salam, His Wealth and Islamic ways of life... LRE 0 11,294 09-14-2009 02:53 PM
  Musharraf’s quiet new life in London Naveed Yaseen 0 3,709 09-11-2009 05:52 AM
  Delhi behind attack on Lanka team: Durrani LahoreEstate 0 2,977 09-08-2009 05:21 AM
  Ramadan in New Delhi (snap) LahoreEstate 0 2,584 08-25-2009 07:54 AM