Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Karachi: How does one register a complaint about civic problems??
12-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Karachi: How does one register a complaint about civic problems??
By Farooq Baloch
Registering a complaint regarding civic issues should be a simple process but my recent experience showed how complicated it can get when there are multiple agencies controlling one city.

It was more than a week ago when on my way to work, I noticed a leakage of drinking water from a main pipeline running across Malir River. The leakage from this main line that has Chakra Goth and Bhittai Colony at one end and Defence View at the other was sizeable and could be seen at a distance. After reaching my workplace I called the CDGK complaint centre to register the complaint. The call centre asked for the exact location so that they could determine if the area falls into their jurisdiction. I told them the nearest place, Bhittai Colony (Korangi Crossing) in this case; however, they could not search it through their database.

They asked me to verify the Union Council of the concerned town and call again. What annoyed me was that why should I verify whether it falls into the CDGK’s jurisdiction or not. Secondly, I asked him to confirm if it is in their jurisdiction otherwise coordinate with the agency controlling the area in question, so that they can repair the line and save drinking water from being lost. To this, the attendant at complaint centre said that neither can he register my complaint as it is not in CDGK’s jurisdiction nor can he coordinate with the concerned agency. The attendant seemed committed and took nearly 10 minutes to search if the said location was under CDGK jurisdiction. He ended the call on the note that he would try to contact Korangi Town so that the issue can be addressed.

However, I noticed the same leakage a couple of days later, and then again after five days of the complaint. I decided to give it another try, but unfortunately the response from the CDGK complaint centre was the same. I then contacted the KWSB, DHA and CBC officials and asked them where to register the complaint. The KWSB official told me that I should consult the DHA for this, while the DHA official seemed unaware about the jurisdiction of the area. He did however give me the contact number of the concerned official, who took up my complaint and said it would be addressed. Finally, the complaint was registered and I was told that it would be solved in a day or two.

After this experience, I began thinking about why was it so difficult to find and complain to those responsible. Despite being educated and associated with a media organisation I found it extremely complicated to register this complaint, which made me wonder how an ordinary citizen who is not well aware about these agencies and their complaint centres would register his complaint.

Now, I want to put few questions before all the agencies controlling the city and those in power at provincial and central level.

The City District Government Karachi (CDGK) has authority over 33 per cent of Karachi’s land, while the rest, nearly a dozen in number, are being controlled by other agencies. Why don’t we have a single administration to address public complaints? Why don’t we have an easy process of registering complaints? If these multiple agencies have to continue, why can’t they coordinate and pass on the complaint to the concerned party?

Citizens in Karachi are fed up with continuous load shedding, shortage of drinking water, traffic jams, pathetic public transport, frequent street crimes and sky-rocketing inflation, among other things. Why would they bother to make a dozen calls to find out where to complain? Wouldn’t they rather leave things as they were? In my opinion, this can be resolved if those concerned take up the responsibility and on a single call assure the complainant that the complaint would be conveyed to the concerned department.

farooq.baloch@thenews.com.pk

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=154561
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  MDA To Register FIR Against Owner, Developer Of An Illegal Housing Colony LRE-Azan 0 701 01-18-2023 03:05 PM
Last Post: LRE-Azan
  CDA chief for improving civic amenities Salman 0 3,429 02-18-2014 01:18 PM
Last Post: Salman
  Capital Development Authorities Mulls The Provision Of Civic Amenities To Residents Salman 0 3,860 01-22-2014 03:12 PM
  Benazir Bhutto Road Becomes Centre Of Problems Salman 0 4,771 02-09-2013 12:50 PM
  Illegal buildings: Civic bodies restrained from giving amenitie Salman 0 4,446 10-10-2012 11:38 AM
  Lack of parking facilities emerges as one of Islamabad’s main problems Salman 0 4,113 07-30-2012 12:22 PM
  CDA likely to face problems due to delay in land acquisition Salman 0 4,308 06-18-2012 01:40 PM
  CDA chief pledges solution of problems Salman 0 3,606 05-21-2012 12:59 PM
  Roadside auto workshops create problems for pedestrians, residents Salman 0 3,791 03-17-2012 02:19 PM
  Civic agency to start a new road to nowhere Salman 0 3,284 02-08-2012 12:29 PM
  CDA asked to provide civic amenities to residents Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,903 01-28-2012 12:32 PM
Last Post: Lahore_Real_Estate
  Islamabad : I-9/4 sector civic problems to be addressed soon Salman 0 3,826 12-05-2011 03:38 PM
  Selling shrine land: Civic authorities admit illegality Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,794 10-29-2011 03:39 PM
  MTS only solution to transport problems, say experts Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,682 02-14-2011 04:35 PM
  Karachiites lodge complaint against cleric for threatening Sherry Lahore_Real_Estate 0 2,757 01-10-2011 02:17 PM
  Land scam: Supreme Court asks ministry to register FIR against NICL chairman, BoD Lahore_Real_Estate 0 4,339 10-13-2010 12:53 PM
  Complaint Against WASA: 3 Residents/Affectees Arrested!!! LRE 0 4,967 07-25-2010 03:01 PM
Last Post: LRE
  Problems of Giddani Ship Breaking Industry Labour LRE 1 5,793 07-09-2010 05:31 PM
  Communication Problems of "Ushaaq" ( by Athar Shah Khan Jedi) LRE 2 8,288 07-09-2010 01:01 AM
  Problems of Pensioners & Hologram Technology LRE 0 3,472 06-29-2010 01:38 AM