Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coal project to help end energy crisis: Shahbaz
01-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Coal project to help end energy crisis: Shahbaz
LAHORE: Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has said that resolving the energy crisis is the top priority of the government as it is essential for economic development and strengthening of the national economy.

He said Punjab government was implementing a comprehensive strategy for dealing with the problem of shortage of energy and striving for generation of electricity from traditional as well as alternative sources.

He said the provincial government had announced a big project of generating energy from coal and six sites had been selected for setting up coal-based power projects. He said the Punjab government would establish two coal power plants of 660 megawatts from its own resources.

He was talking to assembly members of different districts who called on him here Friday. They included MNA Ch Nazir Ahmad and MPA Abdul Mannan Khan, Ch Zahid Akram and Shaikh Allauddin.

Talking to the parliamentarians, the chief minister said the government was determined to resolve energy crisis. He said electricity produced from coal would reduce the cost of production of energy and generation of electricity from coal would be possible within three to five years.

He said the federal government had also started work on Coal Power Park in Gadani. He said supply of electricity and gas was of vital importance for economy as energy was essential for agriculture and industrial sector and creation of job opportunities.

He said that due to wrong policies and strategies of the last several decades, low cost electricity had not been produced in Pakistan. Moreover, he said, no serious effort had been made for generation of hydel power. He said there were vast reserves of coal in Thar while 500 million tons coal was also available in Punjab.

He said the sites selected by the Punjab government for coal-based power projects were of vital importance as they were located near the centres of higher consumption of electricity and besides the electricity produced here could immediately be added to the national grid.

He said these locations were near railway lines and roads and above all water was easily available. He said the purpose of this coal-based power generation was also to encourage and guide private sector and to include its participation in the government efforts for overcoming the energy shortage.

He said modern coal power plants based on new technology had minimised the problems like environmental pollution and such modern plants which were called super critical plants would be set up in Punjab.

He said this project from coal would prove to be a milestone in overcoming the energy crisis. Shahbaz Sharif said this project of power generation would help supply of electricity to ordinary consumers and industrial and agriculture sector as well as generation of low cost power which would reduce the electricity tariff.

Moreover, he said, this project which would require transportation of millions of tons coal would be helpful in revival of railways. He said the project would usher in an era of progress and prosperity as vast job opportunities would also be created leaving a positive impact on every sector of economy.

He expressed determination that government would rid the country of energy crisis. He stressed upon the elected representatives to keep close contact with the people and spare no effort for resolving their problems.

Career counselling: questions & answers

Q1). Sir, I have done MCS and MSc in Gender and Women Studies. I want to work with NGOs or serve as a lecturer. Could you guide me where from I should do my M. Phil? And in which subject of Social Sciences? What is the scope of this field in Pakistan and what else should I do to enhance my career? (Ehtesham-ul-Haq – Multan)

Ans: Gender Studies is a strong and vast area of speciality with quite a few opportunities in Pakistan as well as abroad. If you focus on a title that deals with gender inequality and its impact on the Pakistani education sector then this should give you career prospects within the government and the education sector. The other area you can look at would be Education Policy and Education Management within the scope of your own subject area. M.Phil leading to PhD is offered by most universities, including BZU and AIOU.

Q2). I am a student of Mass Communication and need your advice regarding the medium selection of my subject. Should I study journalism in Urdu or English? Please guide me as to what is better for my career? (Nadia- Sialkot)

Ans: If you are aiming at joining the field of journalism you should be perfect in English, with full command over written and spoken English in order to create your profile within the local and international media.

Q3). Sir, I got admission to the University of Lahore in Microbiology. I also got a second degree in Agricultural Sciences from the Punjab University. My parents have advised me to go for Agricultural Sciences from the PU just because it is a renowned university. I do not want to do Agricultural Sciences because I am more interested in doing Microbiology. Please tell me which field will be better as a teaching profession and which has more scope? (Zehrish Gill- Lahore)

Ans: Microbiology and Cellular Biology both have strong demand and huge prospects of career growth. Agriculture Sciences is not suitable for females while Microbiology will allow you to work as a research analyst and has better opportunities.

Q4). My son has passed the Industrial Engineering from UMT, Lahore. He should join the practical field or go for further education? (Muhammad Iqbal- Lahore)

Ans: It all depends on where from your son wants to get his further education, in Pakistan or abroad. If he chooses to go abroad then I would recommend that he should do MSc in Manufacturing Management or Technology Management which will enhance his career prospects along with his basic degree of Industrial Engineering.

Q5). I am Muhammad Asim and have DAE electronics with two year apprenticeship from POF, Wah Cantt. Currently, I am working with a company in oil field as a maintenance manger but I want to enhance my education level. I got many training from some international training centers but I really want to get degree from a reputed university. Could you please suggest to me a national or international university where I can get an online admission and start my degree program on distance bases? (Muhammad Asim- Islamabad)

Ans: Engineering degrees are not available online and I will not recommend you to look at a degree in science and technology that is through distance learning. I strongly feel that such degrees should not be completed without lab and practical work.

(Syed Azhar Husnain Abidi is a renowned educationist in Pakistan, with more than 20 years of experience as provider of education counseling services. He has represented Pakistan in over 100 national and international seminars, conferences and forums. He is the recipient of the most coveted civil award Tamgha e Imtiaz)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pakistan’s first waste-to-energy plant with 40-megawatt Production Capacity LRE-Azan 0 4,095 07-18-2018 04:26 PM
Last Post: LRE-Azan
  Shahbaz Sharif reviews Ring Road project Salman 0 6,119 03-13-2014 05:18 PM
Last Post: Salman
  Electricity from coal-based projects within 3-5 years: CM Salman 0 4,197 02-10-2014 02:44 PM
  PM Nawaz visits Solar Energy Park project site in Bahawalpur Salman 0 4,570 02-06-2014 12:54 PM
  Nawaz, Zardari launch Thar Coal power project Salman 0 4,494 02-01-2014 01:30 PM
  Punjab & China strike deals on energy Salman 0 5,796 12-06-2013 02:24 PM
  Approval Of Commercial Plans Conditioned With Solar Energy Systems Salman 0 5,916 12-03-2013 04:37 PM
  Qatar willing to invest in energy, housing sectors Salman 0 9,675 11-09-2013 04:28 PM
  Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company To Develope 6000 MW With Colabration of China Power I Salman 0 8,732 08-16-2013 12:05 PM
  Shehbaz Emphasis on Energy Needs Salman 0 9,672 08-06-2013 11:10 AM
  Energy, roads to consume much of Rs1.15tr PSDP Salman 0 3,722 06-13-2013 01:19 PM
  Cooperation in energy sector to energise Pak-Tajikistan relations Salman 0 3,661 05-08-2013 01:58 PM
  Shahbaz announces to start metro bus project from Lahore to Islamabad Salman 0 8,324 03-30-2013 11:38 AM
  Metro Bus Project Is For The Entire Country: Shahbaz Salman 0 4,296 02-08-2013 01:29 PM
  Shahbaz orders work on two 50MW energy plants Salman 0 4,251 10-24-2012 12:27 PM
  Shahbaz pins hopes on Turkey for energy Salman 0 3,955 10-16-2012 12:23 PM
  CDA urged to use solid waste for energy generation Salman 0 4,228 07-14-2012 11:59 AM
  Rs7 billion landfill facility project gets Shahbaz’s approval Salman 0 3,944 07-04-2012 02:27 PM
  Shahbaz visits Allama Iqbal Road project Salman 0 4,192 06-12-2012 02:19 PM
  CM invites Chinese investment in energy and mining Salman 0 4,277 06-12-2012 12:48 PM