Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malik and Mirza try to clear up marriage muddle
04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Malik and Mirza try to clear up marriage muddle
Monday, 05 Apr, 2010
[Image: attachment.php?aid=585]
HYDERABAD: Hyderabad police have questioned former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik ahead of his planned marriage to Indian tennis star Sania Mirza about another woman claiming to be the cricket player’s wife.

Malik has been asked not to leave India while the police investigate, senior police official A.K. Khan said on Monday.

In her complaint, filed on Sunday, Ayesha Siddique alleged that Malik married her in June 2002 and she accused him of subjecting her to cruelty and harassment by denying that the wedding took place and by trying to marry another Indian woman.

Police visited the home of Mirza in Hyderabad, the capital of southern Andhra Pradesh state, where Malik was staying and recorded his statement on Monday, Stephan Ravindra, a deputy commissioner of police said.

Police are investigating complaints of criminal intimidation, cheating, fraud and harassment for dowry against the Pakistani cricketer, Ravindra told The Associated Press. Police also questioned Siddique.

After speaking to the police, Malik and Mirza appeared before reporters and said they were going ahead with the wedding on April 15.

“I am very upset (by the controversy),” Mirza said. “It’s very painful for my family. But we are happy that we are getting married.

“I have full faith in him. We know what the truth is. It will come out.”

Malik said he would stay in India to clear his name.

“I am cooperating with the police. I have done nothing wrong,” he said, adding that Siddique should prove her claim in a court.

Malik admitted in a statement released by his agent Salman Ahmed that he signed a nikahnama (marriage certificate) eight years ago but claimed he was duped.

After developing a friendship on the internet, Malik said in the statement he married a woman named Ayesha over the telephone in June 2002 but he believed he had been deceived by another woman claiming to be Ayesha Siddique.

“I wasn’t happy doing this because I hadn’t told my parents,” he said. “There was a lot of pressure on me from Ayesha.”

Malik said Siddique introduced herself as his fan living in Saudi Arabia, but would turn down requests to meet, and instead sent photographs.

“I was made to believe the girl in the photograph was the one I was speaking to,” he said. “The truth is, I haven’t, to this day, met the girl in the photographs Ayesha sent me.”

He said when he visited Hyderabad in 2002, he was told she’d gone to Saudi to work, and said her parents told him Siddique had put on weight and wouldn’t meet him until she lost weight. He said she avoided him during two more visits to Hyderabad.

Malik said he was astonished when his brother-in-law showed him a photograph in 2005 in which a teacher in Saudi was claiming to be his wife.

“I was aghast ... the woman in it was the person I called Maha “apa” (elder sister) while I visited Hyderabad,” Malik said. He confronted apa and told her that he didn’t ever want to speak to her again.

Malik said he was cheated and “I was wrongly made to believe that the pictures Ayesha had sent me were of the girl I was marrying.”

“I feel terrible about the mess, created by a family that has caused great grief to my own people and the family of my bride-to-be.”

Siddique said she has a copy of the nikahnama, signed by Malik and two witnesses, issued by Pakistani authorities in Malik’s hometown of Sialkot in June 2002.

Farooq Hasan, a lawyer representing Ayesha Siddique in Pakistan, said in Lahore he will soon be filing a case against Malik in Pakistan’s civil and criminal courts.

“We will also try to stop Malik’s marriage with Sania Mirza,” Hasan said. “If the courts in Pakistan asked, Ayesha Siddique will also travel to Pakistan and appear before the courts.

“The courts in Pakistan will decide about the authentication of nikahnama.”

Malik, who has been banned from representing Pakistan for a year due to infighting within the team during a recent tour of Australia, arrived in Hyderabad last week from Pakistan to work out arrangements for his wedding to Mirza.

Mirza broke off a previous engagement this year before announcing her plans to marry Malik.

The news of the Malik-Mirza wedding plans sparked instant news coverage in the region because neighboring Pakistan and India are longtime rivals, and have fought three wars since their independence from Britain in 1947.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  shoaib-malik-sania-afp-2608.jpg (Size: 64.76 KB / Downloads: 726)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Directive To Clear LDA Pending Records Within A Week LRE-Azan 0 582 04-11-2023 05:19 PM
Last Post: LRE-Azan
  Malik Riaz, Abu Dhabi Group to invest $ 35B Salman 0 4,823 02-18-2013 06:53 PM
Last Post: Salman
  Minister directs PHA to give clear-cut completion timeframe Salman 0 4,870 07-19-2012 12:34 PM
  Shahbaz denies receiving Rs850 mln from Malik Riaz Salman 0 4,232 06-16-2012 01:10 PM
  Encroachments: TMOs told to clear 20 model roads, Salman 0 4,049 12-26-2011 12:12 PM
  Govt releases Rs 11bn to clear circular debt Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,090 10-04-2011 01:19 PM
Last Post: Lahore_Real_Estate
  Sania Mirza on a holiday in Pakistan Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,227 09-27-2011 04:41 PM
  LDA New Commercialization Policy: Minimum 4 Kanal Land for Marriage Hall, School & Showroom LRE 0 5,489 07-30-2011 12:25 PM
Last Post: LRE
  Rehman Malik: ایک اکیلی جان اور سارا پاکستان LRE 0 4,227 07-21-2011 03:34 PM
  CDA serves builders two-week ultimatum to clear parking lot Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,226 06-06-2011 02:35 PM
  Davis has diplomatic passport, not visa: Malik Lahore_Real_Estate 0 4,212 02-05-2011 12:37 PM
  Miracle of Ajwa, Used by Malik Riaz Hussain (Javed Ch) LRE 0 7,132 12-23-2010 10:59 AM
  SHO to be included in FIR for crime in his area: Malik Lahore_Real_Estate 0 4,089 12-11-2010 03:02 PM
  Afridi wants Kamran Akmal, Shoaib Malik in team Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,963 12-04-2010 01:12 PM
  Talks with IMF clear hurdles Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,040 11-05-2010 01:20 PM
  Rehman Malik: No "Black Water" in Pakistan! (Operating Il-legally in Pakistan: US) LRE 3 9,848 11-02-2010 09:40 AM
  Shoaib Malik named Pak captain for Hong Kong Super Sixes Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,422 10-20-2010 05:13 PM
  US must know the difference between friends and foes: Rehman Malik Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,662 10-01-2010 12:10 PM
  I am not NRO beneficiary: Malik Lahore_Real_Estate 0 3,429 09-28-2010 02:49 PM
  Malik Riaz announces $ 2b for affectees Lahore_Real_Estate 0 4,525 09-01-2010 03:07 PM