Pakistan Real Estate Times -  Pakistan Property News
CDA to start demolishing 12 illegal katchi bastis - Printable Version

+- Pakistan Real Estate Times - Pakistan Property News (http://www.pakrealestatetimes.com)
+-- Forum: Pakistan Real Estate / Property News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Latest Pakistan Property & Economic News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: CDA to start demolishing 12 illegal katchi bastis (/showthread.php?tid=15792)

CDA to start demolishing 12 illegal katchi bastis - Salman - 03-24-2014 02:11 PM

CDA to start demolishing 12 illegal katchi bastis

Saturday, March 22, 2014 - Islamabad—The Capital Development Authority (CDA) has given final approval to demolish 12 illegal katchi bastis in the federal capital with the help of Interior Ministry and Islamabad police. According to reports, the operation cleanup will be started on March 24 by razing katchi basti in Sector I-11.

The CDA sources said that in past, many such operations were cancelled due to pressure of certain political and influential people who have their latent interests in the katchi abadis in Sector I-11. Moreover, it is the biggest katchi abadi of the city, therefore the authorities were reluctant to take action, they said.

Keeping these facts in mind, this time Interior Ministry has taken responsibility of the task and a joint operation by Capital Development Authority (CDA) , Interior Ministry official and Islamabad police will be started, the sources said, adding Rangers might also be called for help if need arises.

On the other hand, residents of katchi bastis, especially that of in Sector I-11, said that they would not let the administration and police erase their houses at any cost.

Where was the CDA when the katchi basti was being set up, they questioned. They said that they would not leave their house until provided houses at alternative places.

It is pertinent to mention here that 864 families having 7995 persons are currently residing in katchi basti in Sector I-11, and majority of the residents are afghan refugees and people from KPK and FATA.

The settlement has been declared a security threat for the federal capital.