Pakistan Real Estate Times -  Pakistan Property News
Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company To Develope 6000 MW With Colabration of China Power I - Printable Version

+- Pakistan Real Estate Times - Pakistan Property News (http://www.pakrealestatetimes.com)
+-- Forum: Pakistan Real Estate / Property News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Latest Pakistan Property & Economic News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company To Develope 6000 MW With Colabration of China Power I (/showthread.php?tid=15227)

Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company To Develope 6000 MW With Colabration of China Power I - Salman - 08-16-2013 12:05 PM

LAHORE: A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company Ltd (SECMC), China Power International Holding Ltd (CPIH), and Sino Sindh Resources (Pvt) Ltd (SSR) to develop 6,000 megawatts (MW) of Thar coal-based power plants.

CPIH is a wholly-owned core enterprise of China Power Investment Corporation, one of five State Power Corporations in the People's Republic of China. The principal business of CPIH is to develop, construct, own, operate and manage large power plants. Currently, the company is managing power plants with a generation capacity of more than 23,000 MW. SSR and SECMC are the developers of Thar Coal Mining Blocks-I and Block-II, respectively.

According to the MoU, the parties have reached an intention of jointly developing, within the next 10 years, coal-fired power projects with a total installed net capacity of 6,000 MW in Sindh, Pakistan, which will be expected to use lignite coal mined from Block 1 and Block 2 in the Thar coalfields. CPIH will be the majority shareholder and will be responsible for implementation and execution of the power projects subject to the signing of the formal agreement and the approval of Pakistan government. The power projects will be developed in five phases of 1,200 MW each with a configuration of 2 x 600 MW. Coal mining will be independently developed by SSR and SECMC for Block 1 and Block 2, respectively, which will supply coal based on the coal demand created by the power projects developed by CPIH.

It is to be noted that Thar coalfields contain the world's seventh largest coal reserves - estimated at 175 billion tonnes, capable to produce 100,000 MW for the next 200 years. Thar lignite is indigenous, abundantly available, and ideally suited to produce electricity giving it distinct advantage over imported coal. Price of Thar coal is set on a 'cost plus' basis and is not linked to international energy price movements, thereby, insulating the end consumer of electricity in Pakistan from the vagaries of international coal price movements.